The following simple protocol can be used immediately after a game or strenuous training to replenish spent carbohydrate stores, begin to prepare the athlete for the next game or training session, help prevent overtraining, and minimize delayed-onset-muscle-soreness (DOMS).
Immediately after the game [0 to 1 hour post-game]
- Rehydrate with carbohydrate-based sports drink.
- Cool-down jog – 5 min.
- Static Stretching
- Continue rehydrating with carbohydrate-based sports drink. Finish 32oz. bottle in the first 30 minutes post-game, and thereafter, drink carbohydrate solution until fully rehydrated.
Evening after the game
- Contrast shower with hot/cold water. Alternate hot water (95-100°F) for 1-2 minutes and cold water (50-60°F) for 20-30 seconds. Repeat 3-5 times. Focus cold water on lower extremities. If available, use water massage jets on lower extremities.
- Stretch/massage muscles as needed immediately after the shower.
- Continue rehydrating with carbohydrate-based sports drink.
- Eat small meals of moderate-to-high glycemic index (see below) every 2-3 hours post-game.
- Sleep 7 to 9 hours.
Instant rice, rice pasta
Vanilla wafers, graham crackers
Waffles, plain pancakes
Saltine crackers, wheat thins
Bread, white and wheat
|Bran muffinBlueberry muffin
Shredded wheat, bran chex
Brown and white rice
Special K cereal
Whole grain bread
All bran cereal
Apple juice, grapefruit juice
Fat free milk, chocolate milk
Plum, grapefruit, strawberries
Peanuts, peanut butter